I wanted to take a moment to stray from the local and talk about the national level of golf with the recent move to evenly spread out the major events on the pro golf tour starting in 2019.
The PGA Championship, which is currently underway at Quail Hollow, will now be moved to the forefront on the calendar in May of 2019 with the purpose of giving us one major event in April, May, June and July. The move will keep the British Open and the PGA Championship from being separated by only two weeks as it is now.
This, I believe, is a benefit not only to the pro golfer but to the spectator by allowing time to gear up for each major with scheduled regular tour events and not putting undo pressure on a major winner in a short turnaround.
We have begun to see who really paid attention to their golf game in 2017 with club championships at our local courses. I have two such championships to bring you results in this article and an upcoming big weekend for four more.
Dalton Ranch Golf ClubI begin with the Dalton Ranch Golf Club Junior Club Championship on Aug. 15, followed by the DRGC Men’s Club Championship on Aug. 19-20.
The Rally for the Cure Golf Tournament will be held Aug. 16 at Dalton Ranch with $20 of the $25 entry fee going to the Susan G. Komen Foundation to help research for a cure for breast cancer.
Hillcrest Golf ClubAlso, Aug. 19-20, the Ska Brewing Hillcrest women’s and men’s club championships will be contested. Bragging rights for the offseason are on the line during these events, so get signed up at your respective courses.
Hole-in-oneThe aces keep coming in, and this time congratulations goes out to Robert Sieger who had a hole-in-one on the par-3, 135-yard 6th hole at the Glacier Club on July 16t. Robert maneuvered a 7-iron into the right trajectory to pop it right into the hole.
Now for some results:
Junior Club Championship
July 24-25, Hillcrest
36-Hole Championship Flight
1. Luke Tichi, 168.Boys 13-17
1. Brady McCaw, 94.Girls 13-17
1. Lilly Tichi, 97.Boys 12-and-under
1. Hayden Vickers, 104.Girls 12-and-under
1. Natasha Walcott, 96.The Bugler
Aug. 3-5, Dalton Ranch
1. Anthony Bagnaschi, Joe Sposi.Dolores Flight
1. Ricky Rathjen, John Saer.Electra Flight
1. John Thrasher, Micky Walsh.Haviland Flight
1. Mark Epstein, Jim Siepiela.La Plata Flight
1. Kevin Forman, Scott Lindberg.Lemon Flight
1. John Mower, Jim Whatcott.Molas Flight
1. Boyd Mass, Matt Reynolds.Piedra Flight
1.Ron Mass, Ray Rhodes.Vallecito Flight
1. Dru English, Ray Kane.Yellow Ball Challenge
Aug. 5, Hillcrest
T1. Ryan Cleveland, Tyler Coates, Chris Forrest and Tim Miller; James Bedford, Dennis Larson, Justin Lyons and Jerry Martinez, 129Adult/Junior Event
Aug. 6, Hillcrest
1. Jay and Levi Larson, 66.9-Hole Flight
1. Mike Kane, Henry Newcomer, 33.Ladies Club Championship
Aug. 8-9, Dalton Ranch
1. Kiley Appleton.Low Net
1. Diane Curtis.3 Queens and a Honey
Aug. 2, Dalton Ranch
1. John Hansen, Leslie Pipes, Fran Rusk, Nancy West, 121.Dave Bray has covered the local golf scene for 36 years. He can be reached at email@example.com